So, some of you may be wondering what a "notion" actually is. You could head over to Wikipedia for a quick definition (I knew Wikipedia would be useful). Basically, a notion is anything that helps make your crafting job a little easier or more interesting. This can include things like buttons, threads, scissors, and snaps (although Joann has separate sales for the first three). And now for a list of a few of my favorite notions:
- Dritz Super Seamer Ruler - This little gem is a life saver for hems and checking seams. And even after all the times I've accidentally ironed over the thing, it's never melted!
- Gingher 4 inch featherweight thread snips - Gingher scissors are worth every penny, and these are fantastic. I keep them right next to my machine (unless I'm working on a cross stitch) so I'm ready whenever I need to snip some threads or small pieces of fabric.
- Pattern weights - This link isn't to the specific weights that I have, but I really like Sewing with Nancy, so you can explore her site while you're there. I picked mine up in a thrift store; the workers didn't even know what a gem they had! I hate, hate, hate pinning patterns. These make cutting patterns so much more enjoyable. A quick Google search shows a bunch of different ideas for making your own.
On to office supplies... I recently won a $100 gift certificate to Gaylord, one of the library supply vendors in existence. First off, I would like to say how surprised I was that I even won. I stuck my business card in a bucket at a vendor show, and then I got the marvelous email. I never win anything! I was overwhelmed with the possibilities that the Gaylor catalog held for shopping. Should I be practical and buy paper? Should I be completely impractical and buy myself a small book cart? I think I got a little of both.
- Swingline SmartCut Pro Rotary Trimmer - This was my practical choice. I no longer had access to my super cool paper cutter at work, so we bought one for our home. It's awesome.
- Crayola Crayons 96 count - Oh yes, I ordered the giant box with the built in sharpener.
- Post-It 3-in-1 Flag Pen & Highlighter - Um, how cool?
If you had a $100 to spend, what notions and or office supplies would you buy?